Sole Sister: Bonnie 

To most people these are simple Asics running shoes, brought at any major athletics
Shop but to me they symbolise the beginning of my freedom and finding out exactly who I was.

My husband had left me and exactly three weeks to the day I lost my beloved son. The baby I had prayed about and waited for years to have, burying him felt like burying a major part of my heart and for a long time afterwards I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to survive just one more day without my son and husband by my side.

The day that I felt like I couldn’t even take one more breath was the day I bought these running shoes. I started just running five minutes at a time, then twenty and before I knew it I was running an hour each day. I started this journey by trying to run away from my pain but instead I started running through it. As my body got stronger so did my heart and my simple running shoes had taken me far from where I started.

They came with me to boxing classes where I learnt that I could be stronger than any man both physically and mentally, they came with me on the anniversary of my sons death up a mountain that took two days to climb, they were in the back seat of my car the day I drove to the divorce court and afterwards on my feet when I ran along the beach with tears streaming down my face.

So yes to some they symbolise just rubber and polyester but for me I know that these were the shoes that began the first day of the rest of my life, in these shoes I learnt just how strong I could be and no matter what life brings that as long as I keep on moving forward then I’m going to be just fine.



~ 3 Beautiful footprints: ~

The Sole Sisters Collective says:
at: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 said...

Bonnie, you are an inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing your journey.

Wafa says:
at: Thursday, July 14, 2011 said...

Love it so much. It's inspiring seeing how people can find hope and salvation again :)

Khedegah says:
at: Friday, September 12, 2014 said...

Beautiful. .......inspired xxxx


Copyright 2010 The Sole Sisters Collective Blog & its contributors. All photos belong to the contributors, unless otherwise stated.

+

Contact

Search

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About the Template